When was the last time I had a date night with Grumpy Boyfriend? Silly question dear! We don’t do them anymore! Date nights are boring! So has-been! Remember? I am a cool cat, and as so, we don’t do traditional in the Frenchie household! Especially since we have un bébé. I remember the last time I actually tried to have a date night with my other-half. It was some time after Baba arrived in our life. Yes, this little thing!
My perfect date night
I booked us some tickets to go to a super show and I was really looking forward to it for Valentine’s Day! I had it all planned. We would have had a romantic meal in London, just the two of us. Grumpy Boyfriend will have ordered some of his beer préférée et moi? A massive glass of Merlot! (Okay, maybe two or three…) Someone would have looked after our baby (of about 1 month and a half at the time) and we would have had a blast.
Even daring, after the show, we would have gone to a pub and had one more drink and a little bit of a boogie on the dance floor like when we were young (sorry I had to put this expression. I just love it! It makes me feel so mature LOL). Running to catch the last train, I would have probably hated Grumpy Boyfriend for walking too fast while I would just try to go on with my high heels.
Can you picture it? Does that remind you of anything? Well, this amazing evening didn’t happen! When the day came, we were both knackered, not really in the mood. All I wanted was to sleep and Grumpy Boyfriend had work to do anyway…
Blimey! I am a parent now!
And it means a lot! Things like:
- I don’t care any more about going out until 4 o’clock in the morning. Done and dusted! I am too tired for this!
- I am just happy to be able to go to the loo without hearing a toddler knocking at my door!
- Just having a shower and being able to wash my hair is bliss!
- When I go shopping with girls without le fameux bébé, I am excited like a 5 years old who is going to have the whole last collection of Barbies even if I end up buying more stuff for le petit monstre than myself! I swear, his wardrobe is way better than mine!!! All I have are old jumpers and horrendous leggings while he is dressed in the fanciest outfits ever!
Date nights are boring!
Grumpy Boyfriend and I are cool and trendy young people (yeah! I am still young even if my body wants me to believe otherwise! And don’t you dare to smile!
So we ditched the date nights! Here is a list of things we do when we happen to have no baby around:
- We watch a scary movie while we stuff our face with a pizza and some wine. That’s exactly what we just did last weekend. Ultimately, I am not a big fan of horror movies. But sometimes ladies, you have to sacrifice yourself. Especially when your other half bought you some chocolates and is stroking your legs while you are on the sofa. Even better, if you are good at it, you can hide your phone underneath the blanket and just be on Instagram while pretending you are paying attention. Oops, quick! Grumpy Boyfriend is checking you out! Hide your phone, get another sip of this amazing wine and squeak like you are super scared!
- We go to the pub, eat lovely food and drink more wine. Weird… I really have the impression that we are getting into a pattern here! Booze is always included while we have some free time… Let’s find another way we spend childfree time together!
- We go for a run! Just because! Just kidding! I don’t like sport and I would rather have another glass of vin! (Again!)
- We have a cuddle and talk non-sense for a little while. We imagine things we won’t do. Dreaming never killed anyone!
- We watch old videos of us, when we were young! And we disagree on dates. ‘We visited this chocolate factory in 2011’ says an adamant Grumpy Boyfriend. ‘Nope! We did so in 2012! And I tell you what, we then went to this restaurant where I had the most amazing chocolate cake ever!’ Trust Frenchie Mummy to remember when and where she had some good food!
- We play games on our phones. No need to say that I am better than him! Especially with les jeux that involve finding words. But he is better than me with video games. I just give up after 5 minutes because I am so rubbish…
Life is still good without date nights!
When you think about it, we still have a very busy life! And we are still loving it!
Fancy any of the ideas above? Jealous of my fabulous lifestyle with Grumpy Boyfriend? Quick, check out Bubble Babysitting App now! Find someone to look after your dearest enfants and be wild! Go for it! Now, before it’s too late!!!!
Bubble babysitting app lets you find, book and pay local babysitters that your friends already know, use and trust. They are connecting great parents with great sitters – join them today… You can download the app here if you want to have a look.
This post has been written in collaboration with bubble babysitting app, as part of their #datelikeaparent campaign.
I would love to hear how you spend your precious time with your husband or partner while the kids are far (far!) away! And yes, we still love them to pieces even if it feels good when they are not around…
Sounds a great idea in theory, but in practice would you really leave your young child with a stranger based on some app ratings ..
I’ve become a big fan of the daytime date. Drop the kids off at grammies, go grab some food and drinks and have grammy put them to bed just shortly before we get back. Bed by 11! #brilliantblogposts
Aaah the days when we could do date nights… Hubby and I quite like just staying in and slouching on the sofa watching tv. Sometimes it would be nice to do something more glamourous, but there’s time for that once the kids grow up 🙂 #brillblogposts
I have to be honest all of the things you have listed, to me are still date nights! Were in or out I still count that as a date night fo sho. I love a date night… but yeah as you say they don’t have to be going all out… We sometimes just go to a pub too and have some grub and a pint! OR have a takeout and film night… we love a scary film night too here <3 #brilliantblogposts
Date nights seem such a distant memory – we tried to resurrect them but that fell by the wayside when it got too hard to get babysitters etc. Like your no date night thing though. #postsfromtheheart
well they are kind of dates lol x
I love this. Great posts. Your priorities, expectations and desires all change, whether you want them to or not.
so true! But I kind of like it this way, thanks for reading x
We don’t do date nights, much rather leave the grumpy other half at home with the kids and go out with the girls! Well, I did before I got sick, now I have to get someone to help me with the kids while he has a night out!! (he deserves it though!)
fair enough! Thanks for reading x
I love your suggestions and yes , wine with all options. No running !!! Thanks for linking up with #Todaysmomentintime
Wine is so much better! lol
Hi Cecile, substitute the wine for Cadbury’s Dairy Milk and I would be suggesting date nights on a regular basis! Now I crave time at home alone, just an hour or two and I would be happy.
I do too! Don’t tell Grumpy Boyfriend! lol x
Just popping back from #blogcrush Sometimes I think date nights in the house can be just as fun as going out somewhere, you just have to work harder to make it special