In the first place, I was planning to write a post about Father’s Day. It would have made sense, especially after the great reception I had when I published my Mother’s Day post. But then, I thought ‘Quel ennui!’ What an unoriginal post to write.
Furthermore, Grumpy Boyfriend is not really in my good books today. So why would I sing his praises? He went to the pub with his mate to watch the Euro Cup. England against Wales or Iceland maybe? For what I care about it… What?! How on earth can you have forgotten this tournament? It’s all I hear about at the moment. That and the Brexit debate.
So Monsieur is enjoying himself, playing pool and watching the match with his mates while supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Frenchie Mummy (A mais oui! That’s the least I deserve) is staying home to look after Baba.
Pizza, wine and a good romantic comedy will bring maman back to her good spirits. But still, I don’t get it. Why do men get so excited about a football competition? Turn the news on and it’s all about supporters behaving badly in France. It’s just 11 guys running after a ball and playing with it.
You may have worked it out. I am not a very sporty person. So the idea to watch a football match over the next two hours is at the bottom of my wanted-list. However, if England gets qualified and stays in the competition, we, mummies will have to put up with it a bit longer. Don’t be sad, here are some good reasons to be excited for the Euro Cup 2016:
- It’s happy drinking time! I am not a massive drinker, especially now that I have Baba. But having to watch a football match is the best excuse to get going with a good class of wine. I remember going many times to the pub with Grumpy Boyfriend for the World Cup two years ago. Seriously, he would be so into it that he would get me way more drinks than usual. Now that we are at home, he’s definitely going to make it up to me with no less than some nice wine and du chocolat!
- You can check out a wide range of hotties: Ladies, you don’t have to like football. But you can always look at what is before your eyes. What else to do when you are still uncertain of all the rules? For example, you know before a match, each team sings their national hymn, right? ‘Allons, enfants de la Patrie. Le jour de gloire est arrivé!’ Well, the reason I am not singing is not because I don’t know it. I am too busy looking at the menu. The cameraman always zooms on each player and I internally decide if I would vote in or out. If you see me nodding, then, you can be sure that Frenchie Mummy has just seen an Eye-Candy. On the same note, the slinkier the t-shirts are, the better. Don’t forget their shorts. Go on, check out those little bums and ces jambes musclées… Don’t pretend you are not salivating. I know you are. And hubby to think that you are captivated with the match. Hold on! Did you just see this player’s muscles moving? How poetic is that?
- You are not into footballers as much as me? D’accord. But think, a football match is the best excuse to leave your son(s) with your man. Some Daddy time is always good. Which means temps libre pour Maman!
- You can get on with your writing: You leave these two to some important conversation involving penalties and other weird stuff. And what do you do with yourself? A nice cup of tea. Non, pardon. A large glass of wine and off we go. No one to distract you. By the end of the match, you may have managed to write 3 or 4 posts. Doesn’t it feel just fantastique?
- Finally, in the worst (or not?) case scenario that England loses, you can comfort papa while deep down you make a happy dance. You always get brownie points for that. When England lost against Germany back in 2010, everyone in the pub was depressed, Grumpy Boyfriend included. I was there to give him a pat on his shoulder. Actually, I was so relieved I wasn’t going to have to watch more matches in a pub surrounded by lads on a sunny day…
Alors, convinced now? Looking forward to it? If you are still uncertain, just a little bonus for you. It’s the weekend after all 😉. I just put some beautiful pictures. Let’s be honest, we don’t really care about their names.
Feel free to comment on which Apollon is your favourite! 😍😇