Bonjour lecteurs! We all get to the stage where we have to look for some childcare. Once you come back to work, it is a pretty big step for any mum! I remember looking for the right childcare provider back in the Summer 2016 and it was quite a challenge. True! I am a bit of a control freak, so I struggled to let it go. But Finding the Perfect Day Nursery With Bright Horizons is so easy! Let me talk you through step by step!
Starting The Process
Remember to start looking for a local day nursery ASAP! Some areas are really busy and the best establishments will be booked pretty quickly.
I even think that we should have a list of local places in our maternity pack when we go home from the hospital. It is always best to be prepared!
So once you know you need a nursery, look for the local ones. Check the opening times to see if they match your work hours. Prices too, as it can become quite expensive before you get the 15 or 30 hours free from the government.
Call all the nurseries in your area and book an appointment. You must see it in action!
And while you are there, here are a couple of things to have in mind.
When You Visit The Day Nursery
I know it might look like a big list. But I think that when it is about your child’s well-being, you can never be too cautious!
So here is a list of idées to look for during your visit:
- What is the sécurité in place like?
- Do the kids look well-stimulated or are they left on their own?
- Do they have sitting-down activities?
- What is the quality of the outdoor play area? Is it big enough for the children?
- What about the facilities and equipment? Is it safe? Of good quality and up-to-date?
- Look at the displays. It will give you a good idea of what activities the kids have done.
- Have a look at the food menu. Is it well-balanced? Do they have a chef cooking fresh food each day?
- What about the manager and the staff? Ask yourself this question: would you trust them to look after your child?
- Is it clean? Bien sûr, it will not be spotless. Imagine 18 or more toddlers in a room with toys, paint and more. But you know, a minimum standard. Do the staff ask you to put overshoes when you come in par exemple? That is un bon signe 😊
ALL the Questions You Need To Ask
And oui, I would ask every single one! Because it is better to be safe than sorry!
- What is the staff to child ratio?
- What are the team’s qualifications? For how long have they been working there?
- How will you be informed of your child’s progress?
- Where can they nap?
- Are there any periods where the nursery is closed?
- What is the policy on taking children for extra days? How much is it?
- If any allergies, how do they manage them?
- Ask what you need to provide (change of clothes, nappies, snacks…)
- Are there any requirements to get in?
- You may also want to see the nursery’s registration certificate and the latest inspection report. It’s very likely to be on their website.
Lastly, run away if you see that the nursery seems to have loose rules, the facilities are dirty or unsafe. But also if the establishment has an expired license.
Finding the Perfect Day Nursery With Bright Horizons
Bright Horizons is the UK’s leading childcare provider.
With over 300 nurseries, many of which are located throughout London and the South-East of England, the childcare provider offers a great choice for parents.
Indeed, the fabulous childcare provider originally based in the US has over 30 years of experience.
The brand is trusted by many families as it provides naturally inspiring and exceptional care for our little ones.
Baba and I actually went to visit Bright Horizons Tabard Square Day Nursery and Preschool last week and I must say that I was extremely impressed!
And Baba aussi! He felt like right at home as soon as we came in and did not want to leave as he was having so much fun!
As soon as we arrived, the manager introduced me to the staff while Baba got to play. With over 90 kids on the roll, it is a big place. But there was a lot of space for everyone.
The passion from Madame G, the manager was amazing! You could see she had been working with young children for a very long time. Her staff were equally lovely and so on top of things!
Bright Horizons Tabard Square Day Nursery and Preschool
The nursery has a really strong system in place with good routines for kids. Equally, learning through play is working really well too. The premises have a large selection of toys and items for kids to discover and learn while having fun.
In the few hours we were there, I witnessed a large group of pre-schoolers doing some ballet, painting, playing but also some reading time and phonetics practice!
The room manager was amazing with the kids. And what I loved the most was the way the little ones were all so well encouraged to be independent.
When lunchtime arrived, the cohort of kiddies all picked up the adequate plate. Indeed, Bright Horizons has a colour system for dietary requirements and allergies! And let me tell you that each little one knew exactly which one to pick! Baba had some lunch too, freshly made in the kitchen and it was yummy!
It was clear that strong routines were in place for a smooth run of the day.
Ballet, languages, literacy, phonetics, play… The curriculum is packed up with so many good things there is something for everyone!
Bright Horizons Tabard Square Day Nursery and Preschool – Le Verdict
I have visited many nurseries for Baba both in London and Ashford and I must say Bright Horizons Tabard Square Day Nursery and Preschool was one of the best I have ever seen!
The system in place is very good with a lot of fun activities for kids to explore and grow!
You might have understood it by now with my very long list above, I am kind of picky when it is about my dear angel. Well, I wish we had a local Bright Horizons Nursery when I returned to work!
The nursery we checked out this week prepares pre-schoolers so well for the big step ahead of them!
And it is also pretty clear that the staff are also well looked after by the company! Happy workers make happy places!
Finding the Perfect Day Nursery With Bright Horizons is easy peasy! A no brainer if you ask me! I would definitely place Baba there if we had a local one! There is such a strong community feeling too!
Remember that name when you look for a nursery! No wonder why so many Bright Horizons Nurseries get rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted!
I give it my Frenchie thumb up too! And when I say that I am impressed, I mean it! Trust the old teacher in me!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Bright Horizons Nursery, but all opinions remain my own.